Breakfast with Santa
After two years of being unable to gather in-person, the Hauser Community–and countless neighbors, friends and family from afar–made a tremendous showing on December 11 for the 36th Annual Shalena’s Breakfast with Santa event. On behalf of the Hauser Lake Fire Protection District and Volunteer Fire Department, we thank you all with our whole hearts. We could not ask for a kinder, more generous community.
Enjoy these great photos from volunteer photographer Russell Phillips: https://phillipsshutterphotography.pixieset.com/bws/
Stay tuned for 2023 news! Below is Last Year’s Information
Please help make the event a success by promoting the event. Share this web page with your friends, family, colleagues, coworkers…anyone and everyone!
You can also help us help this family by sharing the flyer each year.
Shalena’s Breakfast with Santa is an annual fundraiser and community-building event sponsored by the Hauser Lake Volunteer Fire Department. The event is held on the second Sunday of each December. Over 1,000 people are served each year; attendance increases steadily as more and more friends and neighbors discover this terrific event as a way to get into the holiday spirit. Click here for public comments about this great event.
- What: Community fundraiser which includes a raffle, visits and photos with Santa Claus, and a fantastic breakfast served by the fire fighters with help from their families, friends, and 4-H groups
- Why: Proceeds help a local family with a child who suffers from a serious, often terminal disease.
- When: Second Sunday in December, from 7 am to 1 pm.
- Where: The Hauser Lake Fire Station at 10728 N. Hauser Lake Rd., Hauser, Idaho
- Served: All-you-can-eat sausage, eggs, pancakes, waffles, biscuits and gravy, orange juice, coffee and more
- How much: A suggested donation of $3 per person or $10 for an entire family
How Breakfast with Santa Started
Each December, the Hauser Lake Fire Department hosts this fund raising event to help a local family in need. John and Betty Mobbs started the event in 1985 when they worked to raise money to help alleviate medical bills and financial distress for the family of a Hauser Lake volunteer firefighter, Gary, whose daughter was diagnosed with cancer.
Shalena lost her battle but her memory lives on with the Breakfast. Shalena’s Breakfast With Santa has become an annual tradition within the community of Hauser, Idaho. With help from area businesses and North Idaho citizens, proceeds go to a family with a child diagnosed with a serous illness. The children’s illnesses are often terminal.
See also the 2001 interview with Gary Mobbs about Breakfast with Santa.
Thanks to KHQ channel 6 for letting us share this fun, 2 minute video with you. KHQ Channel 6 did a little story about Breakfast with Santa on the event’s 25th anniversary. Gary Mobbs and Lisa Wendle are interviewed.
Page last updated January 30, 2023.